Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Riviera Nayarit – Gastronomic Delights




An unexpected surprise for me was the variety of really excellent dining opportunities in this destination. My companionable hosts, Richard Zarkin and Silvia Duarte opened my eyes and my palate to some memorable meals. Amongst my favourites were the Café des Artistes (top) in Punta de Mita (their ceviche – citrus marinated seafood - is spectacular!); Don Pedro’s beachfront in Sayulita where I was treated to tequilas in the colours of the Mexican flag (2nd); La Perla del Mar in San Pancho where you can chill in a hammock and let your toes scrunch the sand on the beach as you eat the catch of the day (3rd); Marisco Tino’s La Laguna in Nuevo Vallarta where the shrimp are eaten whole (including the shells, heads and feelers!) and you can see turtles and crocs swimming by; and an honourable mention, though it is in Puerto Vallarta just south of Nayarit, to El Arrayan where I found myself tasting hibiscus and cactus and enjoying them in whole new ways! (bottom).

No comments: