Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mopion



What to wear for such a unique event? I am “Mr Tilley” when it comes to clothes – I live in this informal travel gear – so I wore a blue shirt, khakis and the crowning glory of a famous Tilley hat. Dara also chose a Tilley hat and a simple white top and skirt that fell un-creased from the suitcase after a week. It was light and cool, and performed wonderfully as we waded from a small speedboat to the shores of Mopian Sand Cay – our chosen venue.


Stripped down to the bare essentials of a Minister (Father Andrew, an avuncular priest from near-by Union Island) and two witnesses the ceremony itself was quite lovely and very moving. Charlie from PSV came along as a witness as did Janice who did Dara’s makeup and also provided motherly hugs. It’s not that we took our marriage for granted after 30 years, but somehow you do take short cuts and rely on “of course you know”. So making the effort to go to this beautiful, remote, romantic place and say out loud in public that you love each other is very special.


I’m a guy, and half British too, so a stiff upper lip normally sees me through occasions such as this. But on a tiny sand cay in the middle of the Caribbean, hand in hand with a lady who has no business looking as beautiful as she does after 30 years of being married to me, my radio voice cracked as I renewed my commitment to her in front of our family for the day…and the gentle swash of turquoise waters on the pure white sands.

No comments: